Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Traverse City: Land Of Celebrities


Traverse City is one of the best kept secrets on earth. Growing up I couldn't wait to get out, but now I've come to realize how amazing this place is. My apartment is in the heart of downtown, and I love walking out the door in the morning to a bustling Front Street, a fresh breeze coming in off the bay. Sometimes we don't appreciate how good we have it. (Remember: you could have been born in Flint.)

But there's a growing group of people that do appreciate Traverse City, and I don't mean the fudgies. Nope, this bunch is becoming far more ubiquitous: celebrities! Ah celebrities, the overpaid and narcissistic hallmarks of our generation. Welcome to Traverse City! We look forward to the onslaught of Humvees and Starbucks that will crop up to accomodate your presence. Have you tried our fudge? It's delicious! We also have cherries!

In all fairness, the celebrities I have bumped into here have all been cordial and low-key. And in the case of Bruce Willis, more good-looking than I expected. But with the upcoming film festival (www.tcfilmfest.org) helmed by Michael Moore, and rumors of more stars in attendance, I can't help but feel a little uneasy, not unlike what the residents of Park City, UT must have felt right before Sundance exploded into a Hollywood circus. I can handle a discussion w/John McClane about which jazz he likes, but if Paris and Tinkerbell show up, I am packing my bags.

Recent celebrity spottings (some firsthand, others by eyewitness account):
*Bruce Willis: Target, G.T. Mall, Borders (daughter Rumor goes to Interlochen Arts Academy)
*Ashton Kutcher/Demi Moore: Borders, G.T. Mall
*Michael Moore: Everywhere
*Tim Allen: Several local restaurants (I think he has a house in the area)
*Denzel Washington: Kilwin's on Front St.

The last one surprised me. Spinniken said Denzel was walking around Kilwin's yesterday w/out his shades on, so there was no mistaking who it was (apparantly he covered up when he left). This spurred a discussion between Spin and myself of different movie star disguises, where I came up with what I think is the greatest celebrity disguise ever: a wheelchair. This would have to be accompanied by a hat or shades, of course, but considering that paparazzi are seeking out perfect-looking human specimans, a crippled guy in a wheelchair would be way stealth. Also, this cashes in on the overall discomfort Americans have with disabled or handicapped people, and our tendency to avoid eye contact with said people when they are in our vicinity. Denzel may want to consider this for future paparazzo-dodging.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a dilemma indeed. I mean, we ALL need more starbucks in our lives (damn, that stuff is good!), but I don't think this town is prepared for a media circus. Though Michael Moore may be able to bring in some good films and some pretty big names, I think it would take several years of proper planning and dumb luck to become like Sundance. After all, starlets already have Sundance and Cannes. Though I believe our town is better than any in UT (fewer mormons) and less audacious than the French, it must be hard to squeeze in a third festival of indie films in between buying another Prada bag and filming Cribs.

On the other hand, sightings of Bruce, Demi, and Ashton in Target might show that celebs are really just people, too... so maybe we don't need Luis Vitton or a Rolls dealer to bring the "It" list here. We do have a good thing going... and real estate is certainly becoming snooty enough to warrant a Hollywood-style buying spree of waterfront property. Maybe they likes the fudge. Maybe cherry facial moisturizer will be the new Kaballah water. My point: it might not take much to get the in crowd here if they perceive it to be the in thing to do.

By the way, I will add Tony Bennett to the list.

All I know, if I see Paris, I will say, "that's hot!" just before I punch her in the face. The misdimeanor would be worth the story.

6:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home